EMPLOYMENT AND INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
General Employment and Internship Application Instructions: Submit cover letter, resume, and minimum salary expectations, if applicable, to Here Media Human Resources via e-mail (preferred mode of contact.) Send job submissions to [email protected], and internship submissions to [email protected] or alternately, via fax to 310-943-5889. Due to the amount of interest we receive in Human Resources, we are unable to take phone calls regarding employment or internships.
Here Media operates the most established, most recognized, and most talked-about media brands serving the LGBT market. Our award winning content is delivered within a dynamic portfolio of media properties that are rich in history, culture, news, entertainment, fashion, and photography. Together, these properties capture the many facets of the LGBT experience and reach millions of readers and viewers every month. Across all platforms—print, television, digital, social media, tablet, events and mobile—Here Media reaches consumers wherever they are and however they want. We’re everywhere. We’re Here.
Here Media offices are located in Los Angeles and New York.
NEW YORK POSITIONS
There are no positions available at this time
LOS ANGELES POSITIONS
SENIOR DRUPAL DEVELOPER - LOS ANGELES
The Senior Drupal Developer position is responsible for maintaining and building robust, stable web and mobile applications to achieve the company’s objectives as well as suggest innovative solutions to our challenges and help shape our technology strategy. The senior developer takes responsibility in key areas such as ensuring optimal uptime of all websites, coding features to support major projects and sales initiatives, observing best coding practices and maintainability, and working with teams (both internal and external) to guarantee the successful launch of projects in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Works with technical teams to define projects, create supporting documentation and drive a project to completion.
- Works closely with other departments to design and implement functionality of all media sites based on the department needs.
- Ensures adherence to agreed-upon best practices in technology and methodology.
- Ensure web sites and applications are tested and conform to established performance and stability criteria.
- Effectively identifies, communicates, and manages change requests, and generates creative solutions to project problems.
- Recommends tools and utilities for development, testing and management of websites.
- Vets and evangelizes new technologies as they serve business needs.
- Serves as a "thought leader" within their group, working as a contributor as well as a leader.
- Ability to see the big picture and assist in the juggling of conflicting priorities.
- Juggles multiple projects, both large and small, simultaneously.
- Mentor other developers on current and new technologies.
- BA in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years of developing sites in Drupal.
- Experience creating and modifying Drupal modules.
- Experience installing and configuring Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Varnish, and Memcache.
- Experience working in a multi-site environment in Drupal for high traffic websites with millions of visitors each month.
- Strong experience with OOP in PHP.
- Experience with building mobile web application.
- Experience with building web services API (REST recommended) in Drupal.
- Ability to troubleshoot server performance issues including optimizing SQL queries (MySQL recommended), networking, etc.
- Understanding of Drupal's best practices as well as pitfalls.
- Experience working with source control systems (such as Git, SVN, etc).
- Ability to hand-code HTML and table-less CSS is preferred.
- Experience with Agile development process.
- Possesses ability to apply business needs and logic to development requirements.
- Needs to be detail-oriented, resourceful, and work well under pressure.
- Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills to peers and management.
- Able to jump in and assist other team members where needed in a multi-hat environment.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and multi-task, and work under shifting deadlines in a fast paced environment.
Send cover letter, resume, and minimum salary expectation to Human Resources at [email protected]
INTERNSHIP POSITIONS DESCRIPTION
Here Media offers qualified, college-level students the opportunity to participate in quarterly, uncompensated internships available in our offices in Los Angeles and New York City. In general, most internships last for 3 months, at 10-16 hours per week. See basic internship descriptions and locations below. To apply for internships, follow the general instructions at the top of the page.
INTERNSHIP – GRAPHIC DESIGN, NEW YORK
The Graphic Design Intern will have the opportunity to work closely with the marketing and design team, gaining hands on experience designing in a corporate setting. Interns will be involved in a variety of creative tasks including, but not limited to, creative brainstorms, maintaining internal brand collateral, photo-research, creative mocks for marketing presentations, layout design, etc.
The most qualified intern candidates will be college students studying Graphic Design with a focus on marketing, advertising and social media. We're looking for dedicated, committed candidates that have an interest in the LGBT market. Additionally, interns should be efficient in Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office (specifically Powerpoint), detail oriented, able to multitask and capable of working in a fast paced environment.
INTERNSHIP - DIGITAL MEDIA INTERNSHIP, NEW YORK
The Digital Media Intern will have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the design and production of large-scale, ad-supported websites including Out.com, Advocate.com, and OutTraveler.com. Interns will be involved with a wide variety of tasks including wire framing, prototyping, preparation of mockups, and final Q/A. Interns will gain real-world insight in the development of high-traffic web sites from initial concept to final launch.
The most qualified intern candidates will be college students studying Digital Media with a major focus on web design as it relates to news, advertising and social media. We're looking for dedicated, committed candidates that have an interest in the LGBT market. Additionally, interns should have basic familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite. Any HTML or coding skills are a plus.
INTERNSHIP – INTEGRATED MARKETING INTERN, NEW YORK
The Integrated Marketing Intern will have the unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience with both print and digital advertising. Interns will participate in sales and marketing meetings and work directly with those who are experienced in the field. Interns will be involved with many tasks including conducting research, competitive analysis, preparing media kits, planning and staffing advertiser events (Pride Events, OUT 100, etc.).
Interns will work alongside marketing managers in organizing, researching and executing long-term projects or special marketing initiatives.
The most qualified applicants will be college students with a career focus in advertising and marketing, with interest and skills in the print, digital and social media medium. We're looking for dedicated, committed candidates that have an interest in the LGBT market. Additionally, the candidate is detail-oriented, able to multitask, and capable of working independently. Familiarity with blogging, wikis, and social media is a plus.
INTERNSHIP – EDITORIAL INTERN, LOS ANGELES
Editorial internships are offered in Los Angeles for Advocate.com, which includes the opportunity to work with our partner site geared toward LGBT millennials, Pride.com. Interns will play an active role in the day-to-day production of online editorial, including content gathering, research, reporting, editing, and more. Writing assignments may be possible, depending upon qualifications, but cannot be guaranteed. Interns are invited to join daily editorial planning meetings and will work closely with editors, and photo department, and other staff to complete both assigned projects and stories of the intern’s choosing. Preferred editorial intern candidates will have a related field of study and a career interest in journalism or publishing. Those with published clips or editorial roles in print or digital publications, including school papers and magazines, are encouraged to apply. Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills are required.
Here Media Inc | PO Box 241579 Los Angeles, CA 90024 | Phone: (310) 806-4288 | Fax: (310) 806-4268