Employment and Internship Opportunities
General Employment and Internship Application Instructions: Submit cover letter, resume, and minimum salary expectations, if applicable, to Here Media Human Resources via e-mail (preferred mode of contact.) Send job submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, and internship submissions to email@example.com or alternately, via fax to 310-943-5889. Due to the amount of interest we receive in Human Resources, we are unable to take phone calls regarding employment or internships.
Here Media operates the most established, most recognized, and most talked-about media brands serving the LGBT market. Our award winning content is delivered within a dynamic portfolio of media properties that are rich in history, culture, news, entertainment, fashion, and photography. Together, these properties capture the many facets of the LGBT experience and reach millions of readers and viewers every month. Across all platforms—print, television, digital, social media, tablet, events and mobile—Here Media reaches consumers wherever they are and however they want. We’re everywhere. We’re Here.
Here Media offices are located in Los Angeles and New York.
Here Media Digital Network:
INTEGRATED AD SALES & MARKETING COORDINATOR, NY
Job Summary: Here Media, the company behind the nation's most prominent multi-media brands in the LGBT market, is accepting resumes for a talented and motivated Integrated Sales & Marketing Coordinator to provide senior sales staff with integrated sales and marketing support in our New York office.
• Develop a deep understanding of Here Media’s advertising capabilities and how they relate to the client’s KPI and strategies.
• RFPs: Proactive approach to processing RFPs – both print, digital and multi-platform, including (but not limited to) compiling historical information, brainstorming on potential concepts and writing proposals – including projecting rates & program ideas based on client objectives.
• Work on multi-platform programs from concept brainstorming and proposal development to potential assistance in program execution/recap follow up.
• Compile editorial credits and facilitate meetings with Fashion department.
• Administrative support for the NY sales team with mailings, scheduling, updating sales materials for sales calls, client correspondence, meeting preparation, travel organization, and other general sales assisting duties.
• Assist NY Sales staff with expense reporting and troubleshooting.
• Manager of multiple trade accounts for travel.
• Manager of Out/Advocate/HIV Plus comp list.
• Monitor PIB reporting.
• Monitor pagination process and create dummy books for approval before printing.
• Facilitate new business inquiries and distribute media kits accordingly.
• Organize/maintain archives of past issues.
• Monitor PIB reporting.
• Facilitate communication between departments (Marketing, Production, Billing, Client Services, etc.).
• General troubleshooting with office issues.
• Research industry trends for department, including Datatrax reports, Ad Database, and Magazine Radar.
• Detail-oriented, organized, deadline-driven multitasker/prioritizer and able to manage multiple departmental responsibilities while working with staff at all levels and varying personalities.
• Able to work under pressure and time constraints.
• Experience and knowledge of fashion industry is a plus.
• Excellent communication and people skills and the ability to consistently work well with internal staff and outside contacts.
• Able to anticipate needs and show initiative.
• Trustworthy and extremely good judgment concerning confidentiality.
• Strong word ¬processing and spreadsheet skills and thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint required.
Contact: Please submit resume and minimum salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org
SENIOR MANAGER, INTEGRATED MARKETING, NY
Job Summary: A multi-brand, integrated marketing manager focused on creating and implementing large, high-impact integrated sales, marketing, and promotional strategies to drive revenue and win business for Here Media properties. This person will play an integral role in expanding the company’s mobile and social media activities. The position combines exceptional “big” idea creation, proposal writing, and multi-platform program execution. Experience in the fashion or luxury category is highly desirable.
Specific Duties: Following guidelines and boundaries set by the management and legal team, the Senior Manager of Integrated Marketing is responsible to:
RPFS: Responsible for responding to RFPs in multiple categories (such as travel, finance, pharmaceutical, liquor) and executing added value components, including events.
Staff Management: Responsible for the management and training of Integrated Marketing Coordinators and Interns.
• Drive process and ensure all assigned projects are completed on-time and at- or under-budget
• Manage and oversee quality control of internal and client-facing documents, including but not limited to PPT proposals, one sheets,digital ad units and mobile applications
Presentation Development: Work with creative services to create visually-arresting and compelling proposals, presentations, marketing and brand positioning collateral.
Program Development/Project Management: Responsible for managing the daily workflow process for Integrated marketing programs including timelines, budgets, creative executions and follow-up on all deliverables. Act as primary liaison between sales and respective agency/client partners. Manage long-term projects or special marketing initiatives above and beyond day-to-day responsibilities as assigned by Senior Director, Integrated Marketing.
• Research and help develop new sales opportunities, with focus on mobile marketing and new advertising units.
Events: Assist the SVP and Senior Director in planning, managing and executing events, including but not limited to:
• Developing sellable event ideas concepts, both as singular events or event series, that can be extended to digital, social media and print
• Serving as direct contact between Here Media and event planning company
• Ideating interactive and dynamic activations for advertisers at the event
• Helping managers to plan and manage budgets
• Leading social media outreach before, during and after the event
• Managing on-site logistics and activations at events
Client Meetings: Accompany sales reps and/or marketing management on an as-needed basis to sales calls to present marketing platforms and client-specific opportunities.
Research: Responsible for responding to RFPs in multiple categories (such as travel, finance, pharmaceutical, liquor) and executing added value components, including events.
• Update marketing team on new research studies and capabilities of value to the team and the Company
Strategic Marketing: Research, develop, implement and drive success of a strategic marketing plan for HIV Plus magazine
• Interface with HIV Plus magazine stakeholders from editorial and sales
• Develop marketing materials for HIV Plus
• Train marketing team on the nuisance of pharma proposals
• Receive approval and support from editorial staff
• Create a social media action plan to raise awareness and readership of the print publication and digital content
• Cultivate relationships with non-profits and conduct outreach to secure meaningful partnerships with these groups
Social Media: Assist and collaborate on Here Media's social media activities on as-needed basis under the direction of the Senior Director, Integrated Marketing, including but not limited to:
• Facebook (personal friends page and fan page) highlighting stories, promotional features, and events
• Maintenance of company's Twitter pages, keeping regular outgoing activity
• Tracking & analyzing social media referral/usage data by site and across network
• Experience in the fashion or luxury category a big plus
• Strong experience with mobile, social and online marketing.
• Experience in event planning and social media, either at an agency or with a brand.
• Superior verbal and written skills, and keen eye for design.
• Fully conversant in research and metrics.
• Ability to work independently, but also incorporate direction from management.
• Strong familiarity with all social media outlets and opportunities
• Proven skills and experience with existing social technology and budding trends.
• Familiarity with the common terms of social media governance and process mapping.
• Intuitive eye for how to best present each brand to advertisers.
• Able to multi-task and prioritize.
• Excellent communicator who is able to work well with colleagues at all levels.
• 4+ years experience in a sales and/or marketing related position
Contact: Send resume, cover letter, work samples, and minimum compensation expectations, to email@example.com
PROGRAMMATIC & YIELD MANAGER, LA
Job Summary: The Programmatic & Yield Manager will drive the growth and optimization of Here Media’s non-direct revenue. This position is a critical mix of technical know-how, application, sales and rate analysis. This individual will be closely involved in every aspect of ad serving, inventory and non-direct revenue optimization. They will serve as the primary contact for day-to-day campaigns across a broad range of monetization partners: Direct PMP, programmatic, content discovery (e.g. Outbrain, Taboola) and remnant. This individual directly impacts revenue growth. In order to facilitate strategic decision-making, this individual will create, manage, and maintain timely KPI trend reporting to measure the performance of each partner.
The role requires a high-energy self-starter with experience in ad operations, remnant optimization and the programmatic landscape. They will develop and manage relationships with ad networks, SSP’s, DSP and ad technology partners, with the drive to increase yield and monetization across Here Media’s 8 global websites – desktop, mobile and video.
This is a job for a highly motivated, focused individual who is engaged at all levels of planning, execution and analysis, able to engage in and explain the complex and rapidly evolving programmatic and ad technology landscape. This individual thrives in a rapidly changing environment, is able to balance multiple priorities and drive measurable results. They are able to roll up their sleeves, use ad operations and programmatic tools as well as conduct data analysis for increased results.
• Proven track record of increasing revenues.
• At least 3-4 years of digital ad operations or ad tech experience.
• Experience working with SSPs, DSPs and private exchanges.
• Experience working with data management platforms and vendors such as BluKai, Lotame, etc.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Understanding of CPM, CPC and CPA models.
• Strong experience with scheduling, trafficking and managing campaigns in DFP Premium, DFP mobile and RTB platforms
• Significant experience with technical implementation of rich-media and display ads, text ads.
• Strong analytical skills and the ability to make data-driven decisions.
• Experience assessing partner proposals, quantifying opportunities and risks.
• Firm understanding of and experience in campaign setup, trafficking and campaign optimization workflows
• Expertise in Microsoft Excel. Ability to create charts and graphs based on data analysis.
• Proven ability to solve technical issues regarding ad trafficking and campaign management
• Must be highly organized with excellent follow-through.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills. Must demonstrate the ability to communicate the big picture and drill down to supporting details.
• Close attention to detail a must.
• Strong judgment; able to prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
• Revenue-motivated: Earnestly focused on the dollars and spends the lion’s share of their attention on ways to earn revenue.
• Proactive. Self-starter. Curious and seeks to learn more by digging in.
• Engaged, committed, and focused
• Hard worker: understands that aspirations are realized through achieving goals and making tangible contributions.
• Able to work independently and able to work across teams.
• High energy; positive approach.
• Must be a creative problem-solver.
• Must be tenacious and able to dig into details to see patterns, find opportunities.
• Thrives in a fast-paced problem solving environment.
• Sensitive to a diversity of cultures; experiences.
Contact: Cover letter, resume, and minimum salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
IT HELP DESK TECHNICIAN, LA
Job Summary: IT help desk support person to provide internal support for employees. Candidate will have both technical and customer service skills, and be able to support Macs and PCs, BYOD, printers, faxes and copiers.
• Handle Tier 1 help desk requests through tickets, phone, or remote connection.
• Follow up on outstanding requests and ensure timely resolution.
• Create accounts and configure hardware as part of new hire process.
• Support audio and video teleconferencing equipment.
• Manage and monitor internal assets to ensure accurate inventory records.
• Create and maintain up to date documentation on Confluence.
• Administer JIRA and Confluence account creation and troubleshooting.
• Other duties may be added and/or assigned as needed.
• Windows 7, Mac OSX 10.6 to 10.10, Google Apps, Adobe Creative Cloud, and MS Office.
• Active Directory maintenance and Email administration.
• Mac and PC hardware, Printers, Scanners, computer peripherals, Mobile devices (iOS, Android).
• Client Connectivity - wireless and ethernet.
• FIle Server knowledge.
• Strong customer service and troubleshooting skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• 2 years+ experience working in a Windows/Mac environment.
• Prefer Bachelors' Degree
Contact: Cover letter, resume, and minimum salary requirements to email@example.com
MANAGING EDITOR, ADVOCATE.COM, LA
Job Summary: Under the direction of the VP, Editorial Director, the Managing Editor is the leader of long-term planning of The Advocate’s most important stories online. The Managing Editor directly oversees the editing and writing team for The Advocate’s website while also acting as a primary content provider, helping us maintain our role as the website of record for the LGBT movement.
• Sets the long-term calendar for editorial, including deciding the day’s big lead.
• Controls play of stories online in Editor’s Picks throughout the day.
• Supervises the News Director, Entertainment Editor, and Features Editor and helps to manage and improve the editorial of their respective writing teams.
• Runs pitch meetings and select stories for publishing.
• Responsible for all guest commentary, plus searching for outside contributors.
• Ensures workflow for all processes are effective, especially daily reporting.
• Oversee fulfillment of editorial needed for ad programs for The Advocate.
• Jump in on breaking news during weird hours.
• Able to step in for any editor who is out of the office or indisposed.
• Increase quality of stories, slideshows and commentary via pre-editing and feedback on a regular basis.
• Assist with the reporting and editing for each issue of HIV Plus magazine.
• Contributes to editorial content for all Here Media sites on occasion.
This person in this position must be efficient, well organized, have a strong interest in news and politics, a commitment to The Advocate as a news-gathering organization, and a broad knowledge of the LGBT rights movement as well as the proven ability to think critically. Must be a writer who has mastered Associated Press style and able to pinch hit as a copy editor, line editor, or in just about any role. Must be able to work with tight resources and remain calm under intense deadline pressure, and be willing and able to work evenings or weekends when needed to meet deadlines. Must be sufficiently flexible and knowledgeable about online production processes.
Additional preferred skills: Experience with Drupal and other CMS systems. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop. Experience and interest in using social media as a key news gathering tool and in disseminating breaking news via social media.
Contact: Cover letter, resume, work samples, and minimum salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
DRUPAL DEVELOPER, LA
Job Summary: The Drupal Developer position is responsible for maintaining and building robust, stable web and mobile applications to achieve the company’s objectives as well as suggest innovative solutions to our challenges and help shape our strategy. The developer takes responsibility in key areas such as ensuring optimal uptime of all websites, coding features to support major and sales initiatives, observing best coding practices and maintainability, and working with teams (both internal and external) to guarantee the successful launch of projects in a timely and cost effective manner.
• Works with technical teams to define projects, create supporting documentation and drive a project to completion.
• Works closely with other departments to design and implement functionality of all media sites based on the department needs.
• Ensures adherence to agreed-upon best practices in technology and methodology.
• Ensure web sites and applications are tested and conform to established performance and stability criteria.
• Effectively identifies, communicates, and manages change requests, and generates creative solutions to other project problems.
• Recommends tools and utilities for development, testing and management of websites.
• Ability to see the big picture and assist in the juggling of conflicting priorities.
• Juggles multiple projects, both large and small, simultaneously.
SKILL AND QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
• BA in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent experience.
• 1-2 years of developing sites in Drupal.
• Experience creating and modifying Drupal modules.
• Experience with a LAMP stack environment.
• Experience working with source control systems (such as Git, SVN, etc).
• Ability to hand-code HTML and table-less CSS is preferred.
• Experience with Agile development process.
• Possesses ability to apply business needs and logic to development requirements.
• Needs to be detail-oriented, resourceful, and work well under pressure.
• Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills to peers and management.
• Able to jump in and assist other team members where needed in a multi-hat environment.
• Excellent time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and multi-task, and work under shifting deadlines in a fast paced environment.
Contact: Send resume and minimum salary expectations to email@example.com
Internship Positions Description
Here Media offers qualified, college-level students the opportunity to participate in quarterly, uncompensated internships available in our offices in Los Angeles and New York City. In general, most internships last for 3 months, at 10-16 hours per week. See basic internship descriptions and locations below. To apply for internships, follow the general instructions at the top of the page.
INTERNSHIP - DIGITAL MEDIA INTERNSHIP, NEW YORK
The Digital Media Intern will have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the design and production of large-scale, ad-supported websites including Out.com, Advocate.com, SheWired.com and OutTraveler.com. Interns will be involved with a wide variety of tasks including wire framing, prototyping, preparation of mockups, and final Q/A. Interns will gain real-world insight in the development of high-traffic web sites from initial concept to final launch.
The most qualified intern candidates will be college students studying Digital Media with a major focus on web design as it relates to news, advertising and social media. We're looking for dedicated, committed candidates that have an interest in the LGBT market. Additionally, interns should have basic familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite. Any HTML or coding skills are a plus.
INTERNSHIP – INTEGRATED MARKETING INTERN, NEW YORK
The Integrated Marketing Intern will have the unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience with both print and digital advertising. Interns will participate in sales and marketing meetings and work directly with those who are experienced in the field. Interns will be involved with many tasks including conducting research, competitive analysis, preparing media kits, planning and staffing advertiser events (Pride Events, OUT 100, etc.).
Interns will work alongside marketing managers in organizing, researching and executing long-term projects or special marketing initiatives.
The most qualified applicants will be college students with a career focus in advertising and marketing, with interest and skills in the print, digital and social media medium. We're looking for dedicated, committed candidates that have an interest in the LGBT market. Additionally, the candidate is detail-oriented, able to multitask, and capable of working independently. Familiarity with blogging, wikis, and social media is a plus.
INTERNSHIP – ADVERTISING INTERN, NEW YORK & LOS ANGELES
Ad interns have the opportunity to sit-in on weekly advertising sales meetings, marketing meetings, and work directly with Ad Directors who are experienced in the field. Interns will be asked to assist with many sales development tasks including conducting research, sales strategy, data updates, processing paperwork, competitive analysis, preparing media kits, attending advertiser events and some related administrative support. The most qualified applicants will be students with a career focus in advertising and marketing, with interest and skills in the print and digital medium.
INTERNSHIP – CONSUMER MARKETING INTERN, LOS ANGELES
The Consumer Marketing Intern will have the unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience developing and executing 360 degree consumer marketing programs for top LGBT media brands including Gay.com and Here TV. Interns will participate in marketing, planning, and strategy meetings and work directly with the Director of Consumer Marketing. Interns will be involved with many tasks including conducting research, competitive analysis, preparing marketing materials, authoring promotional materials including sponsored editorial, and coordinating marketing events with nightlife partners across the country.
The most qualified intern candidates will be college students with a career focus in marketing or business, with interest in advertising, writing and social media. We're looking for dedicated, committed candidates that have an interest in the LGBT market. Additionally, interns must be detail-oriented, resourceful, and capable of working independently. Familiarity with dating applications and LGBT media outlets is critical.
INTERNSHIP – EDITORIAL INTERN, LOS ANGELES
Editorial internships are offered in Los Angeles for Advocate.com, in tandem with our three partner sites, SheWired.com, HIVPlusMag.com, and OutTraveler. Interns will participate and gain exposure in the day-to-day production of online editorial, including content gathering, research, proofing, web site production, and more. Writing assignments may be possible, depending upon qualifications, but cannot be guaranteed. Interns are invited to take a place at daily editorial planning meetings and will work along with editors, art/photo department and other staff. Preferred editorial intern candidates will have a related field of study and a career interest in journalism or publishing. Excellent writing, communication and organizational skills are required.